How Indoor Space Heaters Affect Your Health

Warming small rooms with space heaters can be convenient and cost-effective.

However, space heaters can negatively impact your health and finances.

As a result, HVAC systems are more efficient and beneficial than indoor space heaters. Indoors, space heaters pose a fire and burn risk. The most common cause of home heating fires is placing the heater too close to furniture, bedding, or curtains. Pets and young children are particularly at high risk for accidental burns. Apart from fire hazards, indoor space heaters can also cause shocks and sparking. If electrical extension cords are used instead of the space heater being directly connected to the wall’s electrical receptacle, the risk of sparks and shocks is higher. Surge protectors and plug timers are also recommended. Space heaters have enough cord slack to plug into an electrical outlet on a wall. If you use an additional extension cord or if the cord is too long, there are risks of tripping over the cord, resulting in falls and injuries. Unvented space heaters can emit carbon monoxide while bringing toxic nitrogen oxide into your home. Water vapor can cause mold and other structural damage, while these gases can cause respiratory problems such as asthma. The dry air produced by space heaters can cause skin dryness in addition to irritating your sinuses and eyes. If the central system fails, a space heater can act as a backup or as a supplementary option for heating small rooms. But if you are using a space heater, ensure you buy one that is safe for indoor use. Avoid plugging in too many appliances and place them three feet away from all flammable materials.

local business